Rather than using the hand-over-hand method of retrieving lines, the capstan offers a mechanical advantage that is both faster and safer. The capstan does the heavy lifting with only a small amount of effort. The maximum speed of the line retrieval depends on the rotational speed of the drum. The benefit is that the retrieval speed can be adjusted by decreasing the tension on the retrieved line, maintaining control over a very heavy load with little effort.
This useful device, which has been around since the early days of sailing, is still used today. Recreational fishermen, like commercial fishermen, use these for hauling crab and lobster pots and there are many other uses aboard boats. The few mechanical parts and ease of use have made this a favorite of fisherman worldwide. While chains should NEVER be wrapped around a drum, the majority of lines can be handled on a capstan.
A capstan, typically operated by an easy to use footswitch (R001459), allows the boater to control lines with ease without having additional crew members. Powerwinch has a model to fit your needs. All Powerwinch capstans come with a foot control switch that allows for hands-free operation.Capstan 1000Multi-purpose rope winch for anchoring, sailing & Fishing1000 pounds of pulling power!
Our largest capstan, the Capstan 1000, is a power assisted rope capstan for larger applications with 1000 pound pull power and 40 ft/minute retrieval speed. A great tool for quick retrieval lobster, prawn and crab pots. The Capstan 100 also provides power assist for limited crew sailboats and power assisted anchor retrieval. Uses up to 3/4" diameter rope.
- Fast 40'/min retrieval speed
- 1000 lb max pulling power
- Handles unlimited rope lengths
- Easy to operate footswitch (included)
- All aluminum housing with a durable polyester finish
- Thermal automatic resetting circuit breaker
- One piece, heat-treated and oil-impregnated gears
- Stainless steel internal shafts, fasteners, and hardware
- Two year limited warranty
Powerwinch Capstan 1000 Winch by Powerwinch
MADE BY: Powerwinch
SHIP WEIGHT (lbs): 20.9
- Boat Outfitting
ACCESSORIES BY SKU:
- Boat Length - Max (Feet): 1000 Pound Pull
- MADE IN UNITED STATES
See our full line of Powerwinch products
- Part Number: 16755
- Accessories by Manufacturer ID:
- Customs Code: 8425.39.00.00
- Packaging Size (H/W/L): 9 X 15 X 11 inches
Manufacturer ID: P77099